Skip to main content

The Clocks Have Gone Forward...

...without too much kerfuffle, certainly not enough to warrant a whole blog post. Losing an hour is always disappointing, but had it not been for this intro I'd have forgotten about it by now. It's a far cry from 2013, when the clocks went back. Saturday 26th October was the date and I was in the midst of my tri-annual visit to my parents' house.

The 3 of us were sat watching Strictly Come Dancing when all of a sudden somebody muttered the words that would change the course of my visit indefinitely. "Remember the clocks go back tonight, and seeing as we're flying to Croatia in the early hours you'll have to take care of it!"

I assumed straight away they were talking to me. I hadn't arranged to go on holiday and it was the kind of trick they'd pulled before. Looking back, I remember 2 distinct things:
  1. I'd have to make my own arrangements for Sunday's breakfast, and...
  2. In a 'worse for wear' state, having raided my parents larder that day for wine, I thought I was being asked to return their clocks to the shop they'd been purchased from.
Never one to shy responsibility, and bored of X Factor by this point, I proceeded to the kitchen to find an old shopping bag. I anticipated that the combined weight of clocks would require 'double-bagging' of a standard bag, so I opted for a Sainsbury's bag for life, which I planned to dispose of in a bin afterwards.

I can't remember what the time was exactly...

With my parents upstairs, finalising their packing for Romania, I slipped out into the cold October night. Donning my snood/hat combo, to avoid drying of the skin around my eyes and nose, I was accompanied by a bottle of Jacob's Creek, which I'd developed a taste for earlier that day.

Due to the weekend bus schedule I ended up walking into town, seeing off the wine in the process. Whilst staggering down the middle of a well-lit road I was pulled over by a policeman. At first he seemed keen to find out what was in my bag for life.

I believe the resulting arrest was officially for 'theft of an unusual number of time pieces whilst under the influence and using threatening, abusive or insulting language'. Thankfully, after a night in the cells, a grovelling explanation and an £80 fine, I was free to go.

Realising the error of my ways, I set off to return the clocks to my parent's walls and cabinet surfaces without them knowing a thing. However, to my surprise they were still there when I got back Sunday morning, apparently having missed their wake-up alarm (and holiday) through no fault of their own.

In a way things worked out for the best as, after apologising profusely, I was cooked a lovely egg and bacon sandwich which took the edge of the hangover. It also resolved the issue of what I was going to make myself for breakfast that morning.

As for the holiday, well unfortunately my parents missed out on a refund due to the unbelievable nature of the claim they put forward.

<< "Do Another Blog Post"... / Dad's Got Kidney Stones... >>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling All Office Fans

    Who's been to the Coventry Conference? Ah yes, the fictional Coventry Conference, co-ordinated by the equally fictional Eric Hitchmough . A man whom I've never fictionally met, or even seen, yet know so much about. From his little withered hand, the wanking claw , to his signature catchphrase, ' I don't agree with that in the workplace !' Eric is... and that is what I want.    If I've lost you, I can only assume you're not quite the fan of The Office that I called for in the title of this post, or I'm not the writer that I think I am! Allow me to explain...    T he Office is the single greatest sitcom of all time, sure, so it makes sense for it's legion of fans to have a social outlet to congregate and quote the show to their heart's content. The Facebook group ' Do You Not Know Who ERIC HITCHMOUGH Is' ,  DYNKWEHI , provides such a platform.    With it's mix of quality quoting, imaginative imagery and creative commenting,

London Actually

   London has literally been around forever. With a multitude of sights, sounds, smells and tastes, there's something for everyone. In the past month, I myself have begun to scratch the surface on weekends. Come forth and let me share my experiences. Or, if you want to know what it's really like, watch Love Actually .    My first jaunt was to a cinema so secret, it's called Secret Cinema . The date was Sunday 5th March, the film Moulin Rouge . For those unfamiliar with the concept, you while away an evening in a purpose built set, combining live action performances with a screening of the film in question. Nothing's secret really, as the film and location are provided beforehand. Presumably, this is so people aren't left wandering the streets, wondering what they've signed up for.    Photos are strictly forbidden, but I'd describe my venture to late 19th century Montmartre as boozy, magical and slightly embarrassing, when one of the actors tried to make

(Joint) Employee Of The Month...

...isn't something to be sniffed at. Just because I wasn't good enough to win it outright doesn't make me sad in the slightest. So when the honour was bestowed upon Internet Enquiries earlier this year, in one of the summer months' beginning with 'J', I was pleasantly surprised. Fast forward to November, a month beginning with 'N' that falls somewhere in the middle of autumn, and we'd finally settled on a location for our victory meal. It was a triple celebration for myself, having of course also won Morsel of the Month in September and having had a haircut in October. The meal itself went off without a hitch. We even found someone with a disposable camera to take a picture of us... The team: circa 1996/97 - 2014 ...I only managed a starter and main myself, but had a lovely selection of cheese and crackers waiting for me on my return home. It's at this juncture I feel it appropriate to plot my 2014 achievements on a line gra