Skip to main content

Leftovers...

...can often be a harshly overlooked specimen. Walk down any high street in the western world, minus Canada, and chances are you'll pass by a 3 course meal/6 course tasting menu, albeit one made of scraps and other unwanted or misplaced treats. Sadly, the story of these pieces of waste are seldom told.

That is until now! Thanks to Russ and Tom, two frontrunners in the world of discarded food poetry, we're starting see a host of young Byron's from all walks of life chart the rise, and often tragic falls, of a whole manner of food stuff. I present to you Leftovers. With a 7 step rule plan to adhere to, you simply find yourself a tragic case of grub in the street, capture the evidence and write the back story, with the aim of satisfying a 120-strong audience.

My first attempt, included below for your satisfaction, symbolises the immediate aftermath of a long overdrawn breakup (in tortilla chip form.) Despite being overlooked for August's 'Morsel of the Month' it mattered not, as it was actually posted on September 2nd so I'd have probably been ordered to return the trophy anyway: [UPDATE: Awarded September 'Morsel of the Month' on 08/10/14 - Oh, that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh]


Amongst the heatwave, the salsa dance was born
Lightly salted crumbs, lay alone, forlorn
Cool original, dream of summer breeze
Things turn sour, were you a fools tangy cheese?
The hint of a lime, I relish the thought
Jalapeño fire, surely too hot, abort
What of the dip, left in the minute mart?
Oh tortilla, you're breaking my heart

I know what you're thinking; how does one follow up this heartbreaking tale on a whim? Well, quite easily actually. Leftovers, riding on the crest of bumper start to September in terms of submissions, introduced a new weekly feature in which they present the crime scene and 24 hours are allotted for anyone to describe the situation.

Telling a story of greed and power gone wrong - a metaphor for how the "money men" are ruining the once beautiful game of soccer - the words below quite literally speak for themselves. Saying that, you will still have to read them. Sorry:



My work here also utilises the often misused cross-stitch approach, in which the first letter of each line spells out a word itself. The word above, which I admit isn't easy to decipher, is actually McDonald's - a well known burger chain.

Where my participation with Leftovers goes next only time will tell. I'm happy to admit that in recent weeks I've not only found, but have actually photographed a discarded Strawberry Lace. If you're still alive by the time I complete work on this particular piece then you're in for a sugar-coated treat.

<< My (Albeit Brief) Career In Clips... / (Joint) Employee Of The Month... >>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling All Office Fans

    Who's been to the Coventry Conference? Ah yes, the fictional Coventry Conference, co-ordinated by the equally fictional Eric Hitchmough . A man whom I've never fictionally met, or even seen, yet know so much about. From his little withered hand, the wanking claw , to his signature catchphrase, ' I don't agree with that in the workplace !' Eric is... and that is what I want.    If I've lost you, I can only assume you're not quite the fan of The Office that I called for in the title of this post, or I'm not the writer that I think I am! Allow me to explain...    T he Office is the single greatest sitcom of all time, sure, so it makes sense for it's legion of fans to have a social outlet to congregate and quote the show to their heart's content. The Facebook group ' Do You Not Know Who ERIC HITCHMOUGH Is' ,  DYNKWEHI , provides such a platform.    With it's mix of quality quoting, imaginative imagery and creative commenting,

London Actually

   London has literally been around forever. With a multitude of sights, sounds, smells and tastes, there's something for everyone. In the past month, I myself have begun to scratch the surface on weekends. Come forth and let me share my experiences. Or, if you want to know what it's really like, watch Love Actually .    My first jaunt was to a cinema so secret, it's called Secret Cinema . The date was Sunday 5th March, the film Moulin Rouge . For those unfamiliar with the concept, you while away an evening in a purpose built set, combining live action performances with a screening of the film in question. Nothing's secret really, as the film and location are provided beforehand. Presumably, this is so people aren't left wandering the streets, wondering what they've signed up for.    Photos are strictly forbidden, but I'd describe my venture to late 19th century Montmartre as boozy, magical and slightly embarrassing, when one of the actors tried to make

(Joint) Employee Of The Month...

...isn't something to be sniffed at. Just because I wasn't good enough to win it outright doesn't make me sad in the slightest. So when the honour was bestowed upon Internet Enquiries earlier this year, in one of the summer months' beginning with 'J', I was pleasantly surprised. Fast forward to November, a month beginning with 'N' that falls somewhere in the middle of autumn, and we'd finally settled on a location for our victory meal. It was a triple celebration for myself, having of course also won Morsel of the Month in September and having had a haircut in October. The meal itself went off without a hitch. We even found someone with a disposable camera to take a picture of us... The team: circa 1996/97 - 2014 ...I only managed a starter and main myself, but had a lovely selection of cheese and crackers waiting for me on my return home. It's at this juncture I feel it appropriate to plot my 2014 achievements on a line gra